Village of Oblong
September 6th, 2006
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on September 6th, 2006, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Bonnie Finn.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Nedra Clark, Jake Wilkins, Jerry McDaniel and Wendy McDaniel.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of August 2nd, 2006, were approved with a motion by Sherry and a second by Rick H. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Jerry and Wendy McDaniel asked to speak to the Board about a skateboard park.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month.
Ms. Clark asked if she could pay her water bill on September 13th. The Board granted her request.
5. Under Mayor's Comments: 1. Randy stated that the Shriners would like to use the 4-way stop to pass out Shriners’ Hospital Papers and collect donations. The Board granted their request. The date is September 16th, from 8 am to 11 am or 12 pm.
2. Randy mentioned that Phil Mendenhall had talked to him about MABAS (mutual aid box alarm system) Division 59 and that there may be some initial cost for radio upgrades. There is to be a meeting on Monday, September 11th, Randy stated that he would have more information then and would keep the board updated.
3. Randy stated that he had received a letter from Jake Wilkins stating that some of the young people in the Village would appreciate a skateboard park. Jerry McDaniel stated that there is no where in the Village where kids can ride their skateboards without getting in trouble. Jerry stated that there is the old dirt bike area out at the park that could possibly be made into a skateboard park. He stated that there were some parents and other that would be willing to donate their time in helping to build a skateboard park. Wendy mentioned that there is a foundation that will give $5,000 towards the park if there is $5,000 raised by the kids who want the park. The name of the foundation is Tony Hawk Foundation. Randy stated that the board would need to look into the cost to the Village with the insurance company. Jake Wilkins came into the meeting and talked to the board.
6. Reports of Committees:
A Police: Rick H. stated that the Village has received the reimbursement for Paul’s academy tuition from the state and also reimbursement from ILEAS for Chad’s training. Chad stated that there will be a couple of training session this month. One will be SRT and the other is on Tactical Commander School. Chad also mentioned that the police department will start enforcing the parking ordinance on South Range Street. Chad stated that Gary and the guys will help with the traffic during the Homecoming Parade on September 15th. Chad stated that the board had schedules and reports.
B. Buildings and Park: Sherry stated that there was no report at this time.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there was no report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Randy stated that there has been some extra parking space made on the north side of Pizza-N-More.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that Gary was on a water leak and that there was nothing to report at this time
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that there was no report at this time.
7. Motion by Ken, with a second by Sherry, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
8. Randy mentioned that he had received a form from the Tourism Board wanting to know where the Village wants the sign placed. Chad stated that the railroad company has started on the crossing. Sherry mentioned that the property at 402 South Range Street was beginning to look a little ratty. Randy stated that he would drive by and take a look. Rick H. asked about the property located at 604 East Kentucky Street. Randy stated that everything is in order and moving along at the moment.
9. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to adjourn at 7:26 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd