Village of Oblong
April 4th, 2007
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on April 4th, 2007, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Member Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Sherry Catt, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton (Daily News), Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Bob Lehmenn, Shannon Woodard (Connor & Connor, Inc.), Keith Waldrop and Tom Lill.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of March 7th, 2007, were approved with a motion by Bonnie and a second by Debi. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Gary asked to be put on the agenda as a representative of the Oblong Chamber of Commerce. Randy stated that Gary could speak before the Mayor’s Comments.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Mr. Lill stated that he would be able to pay his bill in full on the 9th of this month. The Board granted his extension request.
5. Bob Lehmenn came before the Board to lodge a complaint about two dogs that are constantly running loose. One runs loose in the north part of the Village and the other runs loose in the south part of the Village. Mr. Lehmenn feels that if he has to abide by the law so should the owners of the dogs. Chad stated that he has been unable to catch either dog; neither can the Humane Society. He does know who the owners are and will issue some citations. Tom Lill stated that he had seen three different dogs running loose in his neighborhood.
6. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to adopt the Working Budget for 2007 - 2008. Roll Call vote as follows: Ayes – Rick C., Bonnie, Rick H., Ken, Sherry, Debi. Motion carried. Rick H wanted to thank the Department Heads and Finance Committee for doing a good job. Rick C. stated that the Department Heads made the Finance Committee’s job much easier.
7. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2007-O-500 “An Appropriation Ordinance”. Roll Call vote as follows: Ayes – Rick C., Bonnie, Rick H., Ken, Sherry, Debi. Motion carried.
8. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Bonnie, to adopt Resolution #2007-R-1 “Resolution
for Maintenance of Streets and Highways by Municipality Under the Illinois
Highway Code”. All ayes, motion carried.
9. The Board agreed to allow the St. Jude Bike-a-thon to be held at the Park on May 5th, 2007, from 9 am to 12 pm (Noon).
10. The Board agreed to allow the Eastern Illinois Sportsmen’s Club to use the Park on June 2nd, 2007, from 9 am to 11:30 am for a Fishing Rodeo.
11. Gary asked to use the Activity Room for the Oblong Chamber of Commerce general meeting on the second Tuesday of each month except when otherwise scheduled. The Board granted his request.
12. Under Mayor’s Comments : 1. Randy stated that the Village’s Spring Clean-up is schedule for April 27th for paid customers of Old School Disposal. They will not pick-up any construction material, car parts or yard waste. They will pick-up one appliance per paid customer.
2. Randy stated that he had received a letter from Casey’s General Store asking if there was a possibility of the local store getting a beer/wine liquor license or not. Randy asked if the Board members had changed their decision from a year ago. The Board had not changed their mind about not granting Casey’s a beer/wine liquor license due to community opinion.
3. Randy stated that this would be the last regular board meeting for two of the Trustees. They are Sherry Catt and Bonnie Finn. Randy thank them for their serve on the Board.
13. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report. Rick stated that there will be the usual training this month. Rick stated that he had met today with Chad briefly and looked over the Law’s budget figures.
B. Building and Park: Sherry stated that an investment group is wanting to use the Farley Room for a meeting. Sherry mentioned that there is only one rental price ($10 per day) for the Farley Room and the committee thinks there should be two different rates on for non-commercial use and one for commercial use. The commercial use rate that the committee is suggesting is $25 a day. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to add a commercial rate for the Farley Room in the amount of $25 per day. All ayes, motion carried. Also Sherry stated that she is still working on getting a sign for the horseshoe court and welcoming people to the Oblong Lake.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that she did not have anything this month. Gary stated that there is a small sidewalk job pending.
D. Street and Alley: Bonnie stated that Donna Polley is wanting a stop sign place at the corner of North Grant and East Ohio. Chad stated that Donna had talked to him and he stated that he would look into the situation and then report back to the Board at the next regular Board Meeting. Chad also stated that this request was due to an accident that happen next the intersection. He also mentioned that this was the first accident with major property/vehicle damage in 3 yrs.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that he did not have anything to report this month. Shannon came before the Board with bids on the master meter upgrade and relocation project. He stated that there are still 3 right of ways that need to be gotten yet. This project is the Village relocating and updating water lines from the master meter to the pump house when Robinson-Palestine Water commission does their updates. The bids for the Village’s portion is as follows: Munson Construction $32,305.00 and Kieffer Bros. Construction $62,911.00. Shannon stated the bids are good for 45 days. Shannon suggested that it would probably be best to go ahead and let Munson buy the materials now because in another month or two the price for the material may go up. The project will be administered through Robinson-Palestine Water Commission because the entire contract was submitted in their name and the Village will simply be reimbursing Robinson-Palestine for the Village portion of the project. Shannon stated that what the Board needs to do now is a motion to participate in this project at the bid price of $32,305.00 and in the same motion or separate motion an agreement to participate in the payment of stored materials until the project can be done. There was some discussion on the project and if the project does not happen what happens to the materials. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Ken, to participate in the Master Meter Upgrade and Relocation Project at the bid price of $32,305.00 and enter into an agreement to participate in the payment of stored materials. All ayes, motion carried.
F. Finance: Rick stated that the committee met twice last month to go over budget figures. Rick thank the employees for getting figures for the committee. Ken volunteered to initial the bills for the month of April.
14. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Sherry, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
15. There was no other business this month.
16. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adjourn at 7:28 pm. All
ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd