Village of Oblong
AUGUST 2007 MINUTES
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on August 1st, 2007, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Member Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Robinson Daily News), Diana Woodworth, Lacey Maus, Jace Woodworth, Kevin Maus, Lamark Edwards and Angie Price.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of July 11th, 2007, were approved with a motion by Debi and a second by Ken. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Jace Woodworth came before the board to ask that there be a four-way stop at the corner of East Ohio and North Taylor Streets. This request is due to an accident that he and Lacey Maus had, when the motorcycle he and Lacey were riding was struck by a truck headed westbound on East Ohio and ran a Yield sign. Jace stated that the visibility is not good at this intersection. There have been other accidents at this corner in the past. Randy stated that he would have the Street/Alley Committee look into the situation. There was some discussion on the matter resulting in a motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to give the Street/Alley Committee the authorization to resolve the situation. All ayes, motion carried.
Chad stated that there is also some problems with parking around this intersection. He stated that there should probably be some “No Parking to Corner” signs put up.
6. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Resolution #2007-R-4 “A Resolution Authorizing the Sale of Surplus Public Real Estate”. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
7. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adopt Resolution #2007-R-5 “Homecoming Parade Permit”. All ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adopt Resolution #2007-R-6 “Halloween Parade Permit”. All ayes, motion carried.
9. Under Mayor’s Comments : 1. Randy stated that the Antique Tractor and Engine Show will be held the second weekend of this month out at the fairgrounds. There will be fireworks on Saturday night.
2. Randy read a “Thank You” card from the Family of Max Hargis signed by Jan.
10. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Chad stated that on August 14th, there will be a training session for Rifle Qualification. Chad stated that there will also be the normal training this month. There were only a few altercations during the fair last week.
B. Building and Park: Joe stated that the Cook-out for the playground equipment fundraiser raised $674.10. Joe stated that the total amount raised, so far, for the playground equipment is $21,674.10. There will be another cook-out later on.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that she had nothing to report at this time.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that the signs were purchased for the Kids Kingdom. There was some discussion about farmers using side streets to move equipment from the fairgrounds before the fair and then back after the fair. Randy stated that maybe the Village should talk to the fair board and ask that the farmers use East Main and North or South Range Streets.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that he had nothing to report at this time.
F. Finance: Rick C. asked for a volunteer to initial the bills for the month of August. Debi volunteered to come in to look over the bills for the month of August and initial them. Rick stated that Jan has been talking with a Mike Ellis (MidAmerica Energy) about getting any relief on the Village’s electric bills. Rick stated that he has also spoke with Mr. Ellis on July 25th that MidAmerica Energy could save the Village about 4% or about $200 a year. This contract would only be until May of next year. There was some discussion on this issue. Randy stated that when he talks to Ameren about the street lights; he would talk to Ameren to make sure that there would be no problem with us having MidAmerica Energy supplying us with the portion that we can options out.
11. Motion by Debi, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
12. There was no other items of business this month.
13. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to adjourn at 7:37 pm. All
ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd