Village of Oblong
March 7th, 2007
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on March 7th, 2007, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Bonnie Finn, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Clerk Ladora Boyd and Trustee Sherry Catt.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton (Daily News), Charlotte Cannon (Oblong Gem), Jim Wilkin, Teresa Sprague (Check Mart) and Tina Eveland.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of February 7th, 2007, were approved with a motion by Debi and a second by Bonnie. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Jim Wilkin from Skate Park Committee came before the Board.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Ms. Eveland stated that she would be able to pay her bill in full on the 16th of this month. The Board granted her the extension.
5. Teresa Sprague asked that Check Mart be put back on the gas rotation. Randy stated that Check Mart had not been taken off the gas rotation just that their four (4) months will be September through December this year. Randy gave Teresa a copy of this year’s gas rotation sheet.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to adopt Ordinance #2007-O-499 “ An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 23, Manufactured Housings Code, Article I – General Provisions Section 23-1-1 Definitions of the Revised Code of Ordinances of Oblong, Illinois”. Roll Call vote as follows: Ayes – Rick C., Bonnie, Rick H., Ken, Debi. Absent – Sherry. Motion carried.
7. Under Mayor’s Comments : 1. Randy read the letter sent to the Village
from the Friends of 4-H Extension. They are asking for financial help from
the organizations and government entities around the county. There was some
discussion on the subject. The Board is in support of the
4-H Extensions but will not give them financial support as a Board.
2. Randy stated that the Village has received an update from the Indiana Rail Road Company on the crossing guards at the rail road tracks here in the Village. Have cut a check for $12,904 for the Village’s part of the total bill.
3. Randy stated that, with the rate increase from Ameren CIPS, there have
been 10 letters sent out to other companies asking for quote on the cost of
purchasing part of the Village electric from them. Randy stated that he has
heard from two of the companies. One of the companies called and told Randy
that they could not give the Village any better rate. There was some discussion
on this issue.
4. Randy stated that he has met with the Skate Park Committee. He has a copy of the plans that the committee has drawn up for each one of the trustees. The committee is working on some prices and have received some bids back on some concrete. Committee is still having some fundraisers. Mr. Wilkin stated that the committee had held a dance last week and raised $300 towards the expenses of the skate park. There was some discussion on the subject. Randy thank Jim Wilkin for coming and filling the Board in on where the Skate Park Committee is.
8. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Rick H. stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report. Rick stated that there will be the usual training this month. March 14th at 5:30 pm Police Committee Meeting to go over the police budget.
B. Building and Park: Gary stated that he wanted to bring to the Board’s attention that there had been some vandalism done to the restrooms on the north side of the lake last week. There was some discussion on this matter. Looking into closing the restroom earlier and seeing if this works.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Debi stated that there are a couple of street lights blinking on and off. Bonnie mentioned that the street light by Bob Pritts’ house is out also.
D. Street and Alley: Bonnie stated that there was no report at this time, unless Gary has. Gary stated that there are a few bad spots in the streets due to the hard freeze. Gary stated that his department will do the repairs hopefully before farming starts.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the committee had a meeting prior to the Board Meeting going over meter replacement, updates on Route 33 Project, service updates for customers. There are some loose ends with state and the Village is close to having all the right of ways for projects.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the committee will be meeting Monday, March 12th at 8 am. Rick C. stated that a volunteer was needed to initial the bills this month. Rick H. volunteered to initial the bills for the month of March.
9. Motion by Bonnie, with a second by Rick H., to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
10. Under other business, Jan read a Thank you card from the family of Naomi Russell. They wanted to thank the Village for the floral arrangement sent in memory of their loved one.
11. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to adjourn at 7:33 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.