Village of Oblong
Minutes for December 1, 2010 Meeting
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, December 1st, 2010, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe
Present: Campanella, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom
Present: Compton (Daily News), Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), JJ Aten (Oblong Gem), Nick Hinterscher, Mike McReynolds and Adrienne Kelly.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of November 3rd, 2010, were approved with a motion by Debi and a second by Tony. Five (5) ayes; motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were two water bill customers at the meeting this month.
Mike McReynolds asked if he could pay his bill on Friday, December 3rd. The Board granted his request.
Adrienne Kelly asked if her mother, Jamie Griffin could pay her bill on Monday, December 6th. The Board granted her request.
5. Randy stated that the Village had received Pay Estimate #9 & Final for the Route 33 Water/Sewer Line Relocation Project from Connor & Connor. Randy read the accompanying memo dated November 9th, 2010, from Shannon Woodard; which stated that this pay estimate is intended to ZERO out the project. There was no amount owed for this pay estimate, due to the agreement that the Village employees would do the final work instead of Munson Construction, so the $500 which was held back is not owed. Motion by Ken, with a second by Tony, to approve Pay Estimate #9 of Route 33 Water/Sewer Line Relocation from Connor & Connor with no amount owed. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
6. Nick Hinterscher came before the Board to ask for an additional hour for Floyd’s and the Village Tap to stay open on the New Year’s Eve. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick C., to grant the hour extension to both Floyd’s and the Village Tap (last call will be 1am and everybody out at 1:30 am) with a $30 donation to help offset the cost of police man power. Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Tony, Debi. Abstain: Ken. Motion carried.
7. Under Mayor’s Comments:
1. Randy stated that the condemned properties are cleaned-up and that the lien process has been started. Randy stated that he will be contacting the Village Attorney about possibly sending bills to the condemned properties owners, so that payments can possibly be set-up.
2. Randy stated that the new speaker system is still not up and running properly. He has talked with Mr. Provines. There was some discussion on this issue. The company, that manufactured the system, is going to upgrade to the next hertz at their cost. The speaker located next to TNT Video will possibly have a repeater transmitter installed, if needed. If the transmitter is installed then it will send to the rest of the speakers. Mr. Provines has asked the Village for time to get the new system and install it. The Board is giving Mr. Provines until December 13th, to get the speaker system up and running. The Board feels that if the speaker system is no up and running on December 13th, then the system will be taken down and the Board will look into a different system next spring. The Board also wants a written warranty which will cover it when the system is turned on for Fall Follies next year. Randy stated that there has been no payment sent to Kemp Music at this time.
8. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe read the monthly report for November. He stated that there will be some training this month and next month for the Chief and officers. He stated that the department has confiscated a golf cart. It was decide that the Board will discuss what to do with the golf cart next month. Joe stated that there are twenty- seven (27) golf cart permits issued.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that there had been as issue with the antenna for the Police and Public Works Department. Gary stated that two of three legs on the antenna had rusted off underground, but has since been fixed. He wanted to thank Tony for the use of his bucket truck. Debi stated that she had received several phone calls about how the leaf pick-up went. Gary wanted to commend the Christmas in the Park Committee for the decoration at the park.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: There was nothing to report this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that Keiffers Brothers were back in town to complete some of the items on their punch list for the Route 33 project. Gary stated that he had gotten a price on new trash cans for uptown. The price is $600 a piece. He stated that six (6) cans would work, but eight (8) would be better. There was some discussion on the type of trash can to purchase. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Ken, to purchase eight (8) trash cans with gravel looking sides for the downtown area at $600 each. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that he had nothing to report this month.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that he had nothing to report this month.
G. Development: Tony stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
9. Motion by Tony, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
10. There was one other item of business this month.
Randy stated that this weekend there will be a Christmas Bazaar on Saturday and then on Sunday there will be the Santa Train and other activities.
11. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 7:30
Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd