Village of Oblong
September 1st., 2010 Meeting
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, September 1st, 2010, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Rick
Present: Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Joe Campanella.
Others Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom
Present: Compton (Daily News), Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), and JJ Aten (Oblong Gem).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of August 4th, 2010, were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Rick H. Five (5) ayes; motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Randy stated that the Village had received a new quote on the speaker system for the downtown area. The quote is from Kemp Music of Vincennes, Indiana for $16,740, which includes 8 all-weather wireless speakers, a wireless microphone, schedulon and software to run the system. There is a ten year warranty on the system. The Village budgeted $12,000, for the new sound system. Randy stated that there is a possibility that the Village could purchases the sound system equipment directly from the manufacturer, which would be around $9,800; and then hire Kemps to put up the system for around $6,940. If the Board wants to hold off, there has been an offer of a temporary sound system (which is not wireless). There was some discussion on the issue. If the Board decides to go with the new system, the gentleman from Kemps said that the equipment would be here in three weeks and the mounting supplies would be here in four weeks. He would have the system installed and going by the second week of October. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Debi, to go ahead and purchase the sound system, as long as the Village is able to purchase the equipment directly from the manufacturer. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2010-O-534 “Tax
Levy Ordinance”. Five (5) ayes; motion carried.
7. Under Mayor’s Comments:
1. Randy stated that Fall Clean-Up will be October 21st, if okay with Veolia.
2. Randy mentioned that WTW Salvage and D&M Salvage are interested in picking up appliances, scrap metal and electronics. The Board felt that as long as there are no complaints with WTW Salvage to go ahead and stay with them.
3. Randy stated that the Village has IDOT’s approval to close Route 33 for the Halloween Parade. Randy said that if the construction on Route 33 has not been completed along the parade route then the Village will cancel the parade due to liability issues.
8. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Chad stated that everyone had a copy of the monthly report for August. He stated that calls for service were up. Chad stated that on September 9th he’ll be in Urbana to finish up the paperwork for the grant from ILEAS. Chad mentioned that there will be training later in the month at the shooting range.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that the new guttering has been put up at the Municipal Building.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that the last five light poles will be going up soon. There have been several comments on how nice the new lights are.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that the Chamber has requested that the 100 block of South Range Street be closed off on Friday before the Fall Follies at 5:30 pm instead of 7 pm. The Board granted their request.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that there was a committee meeting on August 31st, at 4:30 pm to give an update on the Northeast Water Loop Project. The lines are installed and Gary has sent off water samples. If the water samples came back approved, then the Village will be able to start sending out letters to new potential water customers, who live close to the new lines. The committee also discussed adding some wording on the “Application for Water System Service Installation”. The wording change is an addition to #1. It reads as follows with the words in bold being the addition: I agree to pay a $500 tap-on fee plus the cost of all necessary materials and including the cost of road boring if necessary and the cost of any permits or easements that may be required. Motion by Ken, with a second by Tony, to accept the wording change made on the Application for Water System Service Installation. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ken stated that the Board should put the house located at 305 South Range Street on the list of properties in disrepair. Rick H. asked about whither the Village needed to have some papers to be served to property owner of 402 South Range Street or not. Randy stated that the Village Attorney has stated that the Village has done what is required. Chad asked about the signs that are to be posted in the yards. Randy stated that the signs are being taken care of. Rick C. mentioned that the Oblong Clinic building has been torn down and cleaned up.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that there was nothing to report this month, other than the committee had met to discuss the Tax Levy Ordinance.
G. Development: Tony stated that the Dollar General Store has opened since last
board meeting. Tony stated that there is more space available in the TIF for more businesses.
9. Motion by Ken, with a second by Rick H., to pay the bills that were on the warranty
list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
10. There was one other item of business this month. Ladora stated that the
SECICTA quarterly meeting will be September 9th at Neoga.
11. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Rick H., to adjourn the meeting at 7:26 pm.
Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd