Village of Oblong
August 3, 2011
August 3rd, 2011
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Debi Wilson.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Tom Compton (Daily News), Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), Larry Scull and Max Scull.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of July 6th, 2011 were approved with a motion by Rick C. and a second by Tony. Five (5) ayes; motion carried.
3. There was one addition to the agenda this month. Max Scull came before the Board to object to two ordinance violations that he had received on one of his vehicles. Mr. Scull had proof that the vehicle had a valid registration and it was also stated that the vehicle is moved so that the owner can move to keep the weeds down. Upon some discussion the Board stated that one of the violation charges would be dropped. Upon further research the Board decided to drop all charges.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Rick C. stated that the Village had received a clean audit for FY 2011.
6. Motion by Joe, with a second by Rick H., to adopt Resolution 2011-R-3 “Halloween Parade Permit” for October 29th, 2011. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
7. Randy asked the Police Chief if he had contact with the property owner of 305 South Range Street. Chad stated that he had called the gentleman and told him that he needed to get in contact with Rick Catt. Rick stated that he had not received a call from the gentleman. Randy asked if Chad could try and contact the owner and tell him that if he does not contact Rick Catt by August 15th, then the Village will start legal processing. In the mean time, Randy stated that the Village will need to contact someone to mow the yard and have Gary and his employees to board up the doors and windows. Randy stated that there will need to be before and after pictures of the house for evidence. Gary asked if Randy wanted him to go ahead and contact someone to do the mowing and start the boarding up of the windows and doors. Randy said yes.
Joe stated that he had been contacted about a storage building owned by Monte Eagle Mills on West Indiana Street. There was some discussion. It was decided that Chad will contact Bob Glezen and ask him to secure the building.
Chad stated that the property owned by Lisa Wilson has been mowed. There is also a property on East Indiana Street that needs to be put on the watch list.
8. Under Mayor’s Comments: Randy stated that he had a few comments this month.
1. He stated that he wanted to thank Jan, Ladora and Dale for their help/cooperation with the auditors in making the audit process go smoothly this year.
2. Randy stated that he had received the estimate for the building generator. The generator and parts are estimated to cost $11,379.23; and the labor would be around $1,840.00. There was some discussion on the placement of the generator and where to proceed with the purchase of the generator. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Ken, to proceed with the purchase and installation of the generator. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
9. Reports of Committees:
Police: Joe read the July Monthly Report. Joe stated Chad has ILEAS Training on August 7-11, in Alabama. Joe stated that Chad will be going to get the new squad car tomorrow and is driving the 2007 squad that the Village will be getting rid of. So, that the Village can get a true market value of the 2007 squad. Joe mentioned that there are a few agencies interested in the 2007 squad car.
B. Building and Park: Gary stated that the new playground equipment has been delivered. The date for set-up is Friday, August 19th, starting at 7am.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that there was nothing to report this month. Gary stated that the Village is on the contractor’s books for sidewalk repairs.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that there was nothing to report this month. Gary stated that he had received a map for this year’s 5K run during Fall Follies. He stated that the map showed the route that the sponsors are wanting to use, but the map is showing two places where the runners would be running on North Range Street for a block each time; instead of crossing like they did last year. Gary asked for the Board’s backing because he has contacted the sponsors and told them that the route needs to be the same as last year’s.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the pipe for Rural Extension #9 has been ordered. Ken also stated that the Village is waiting on water sample testing on Rural Extension #8.
F. Finance: Rick stated that he had nothing more to report this month, but he did want to mention that the audit report show the Village’s access value had increased this past fiscal year.
G. Development: Tony stated that there was nothing to report at this time.
10. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
11. There was one other item of business this month. Jan stated that the Village hadreceived the playground equipment bill from Miracle; but will not pay it until after the equipment is set-up.
12. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick C., to adjourn the meeting at 7:32 pm.
Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd