Village of Oblong
Minutes for February 1 , 2012 Meeting
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, February 1st, 2012, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Houdasheldt.
Others Present: Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Police Chief Chad Pusey, Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), Tom Compton (Daily News), JJ Aten (Oblong Gem), John Stone (Connor & Connor), Mike McReynolds, Elizabeth Inboden and Keith Waldrop.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of January 4th, 2012 were approved with a motion by Debi and a second by Tony. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were two water bill customers at the meeting this month. Mike McReynolds asked for an extension on his water bill until Thursday, February 2nd. The Board granted his extension. Elizabeth Inboden asked for an extension on her water bill. She stated that she would have her total bill paid by the next Board Meeting. The Board granted her request.
5. There was a request from Robbie Van Winkle for the local Alzheimer Group to reserve the Park for September 29th to have a Walk to End Alzheimer Event. The Board granted the request.
6. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2012-O-538 “An Ordinance Adopting Offenses Involving Drugs”. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
7. Motion by Tony, with a second by Ken, to adopt Ordinance #2012-O-539 “An Ordinance Amending Chapter 27 of the Village Codes of the Village of Oblong, Illinois to Include the Prohibition of Sale, Possession or Delivery of Synthetic Cannabis”. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Joe, with a second by Tony, to adopt Ordinance #2012-O-540 “An Ordinance Amending Chapter 27 of the Village Codes of the Village of Oblong, Illinois to Include Prohibiting the Sale and Possession of Mephedrone and Methylenedioxyprovalerone (MDPV)”. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
9. Randy read the resolution before the Board voted on it. Motion by Debi, with a second by Rick C., to adopt Resolution #2012-R-1 “A Resolution to Make February ‘Spray or Neuter Month’”.
10. There was a request from TLC Therapy Center of Southern & Central Illinois, Inc. to use the 4-way stop to collect donation on May 19th, 2012, from 8 am to 12 pm (noon) by Labor Local #1197. The Board granted the request.
11. The Board granted the request from the Antique Tractor and Engine Club to use the Park for the Antique Tractor and Engine Show on August 10th, 11th and 12th, 2012.
12. Tony stated that Connor & Connor has come up with a proposal for putting in new Storm Sewers, which will drain north to the edge of Oblong into a County drain ditch, and a new section of pavement to replace the old section of pavement on North Range Street from Nebraska Street north to the Village corporate limits. The estimate total cost is $263,000, which $229,000 for construction and $34,000 for engineering. Estimated time frame would be 3 to 4 month construction period, weather permitting. There was some discussion before the decision was made. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Joe, to have the Street & Alley Committee and Connor & Connor proceed with the North Range Street Project design. Five (5) ayes, motion carried. The design is to be for six blocks instead of from Nebraska street north to the Village corporate limits
13. Under Mayor’s Comments:
A. Randy stated that there had been some issues with people requesting a second trash can and being charged for it. They had been told that the Village Board had voted to allow Republic to charge $5 for additional trash cans. Randy stated that he had contacted the representative for Republic and was told that there would not be a charge for a second trash can, but that there would be a charge on any additional trash cans requested. Randy told the representative that someone from the company would need to come to a board meeting to get the okay to do that before charging Oblong customers.
B. Randy stated that he had attended a Robinson Council Meeting where they were going to discuss the animal control issue. It was decided at the meeting that the State’s Attorney and the Attorney for Robinson need to meet and discuss the issue. Randy stated that in the mean time the Village will need to get a temporary contract with someone to do animal control in the Village. Motion by Tony, with a second by Debi, to contract someone temporarily for animal control. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
C. Randy stated that the Village had received a “Thank You” card from Paula, Steve, Lewis & Harlei Myers for the memorial stone sent for Steve’s dad passing.
14. Reports of Committees:
A. Police: Joe read the monthly report for January, 2012. Joe stated that the Hazmat/Blood Born Pathogens Training last month was rescheduled for February 23rd here in Oblong. Joe stated that there are 35 students registered for the Junior Police Academy. JPA starts February 9th.
B. Building and Park: Debi stated that there was nothing to report this month.
C. Sidewalks and Lights: Gary stated that there was nothing to report this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that there was nothing more to report this month.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that there was nothing to report for this month.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that the department heads need to start working on their budget figures. Rick mentioned that Jan and Ladora will be attending a meeting in Effingham on March 9th. He stated that the only cost to the Village will be for meals and mileage. Rick also mentioned that everyone had a copy of the Retail Trade Summary for Oblong, Illinois. He stated that this report gives an over view of the sales in Oblong and can be compared to other communities. If anyone is interested let Rick know.
G. Development: Tony stated that there was nothing to report this month.
Randy stated that there was about $25,000 in the revolving loan fund that could be loaned out
15. Motion by Ken, with a second by Tony, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
16. There were no other items of business this month.
17. Motion by Rick C., with a second by Debi, to adjourn the meeting at 7:49
Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd