Village of Oblong
Minutes for July 11, 2012 Meeting
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, July 11th, 2012, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Rick Catt.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton (Daily News), Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), Mike McReynolds, Tami Ogden, Dave Titus and Matt Weaver.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of June 6th, 2012 were approved with a motion by Trustee Campanella and a second by Trustee Houdasheldt. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Mike McReynolds came before the board to request the use of the 4-way stop on August 18th, to collect monetary donations for Alzheimer. The Board granted the request.
6. Tami Ogden came before the Board with an analysis of the Village’s electric bill and explained where the Village could save more when looking for a new electric supplier by making sure to request an all inclusive rate quote.
Dave Titus came before the Board to inform them on the Community Energy Aggregation Program and how it works There was some discussion on this issue.
The Board decided to wait until next month’s meeting to do the resolution to put the aggregation referendum on the November Ballot.
7. Mayor Rich stated that the Village had received a clean audit again this year. He stated that the Village’s debt is decreasing.
8. The Village’s Motor Fuel Tax Fund audit was done by IDOT and had good report.
9. There was some discussion on the proposed ordinance #2012-O-544 “An
Ordinance Amending Chapter 21 of the Revised Code of Ordinances of the Village of Oblong, Illinois”, which is dealing with video gaming. Motion by Trustee Houdasheldt, with a second by Trustee Madlem, to adopt Ordinance #2012-O-544 “An Ordinance Amending Chapter 21 of the Revised Code of Ordinances of the Village of Oblong, Illinois. A roll call vote was taken. Ayes: Rick Houdasheldt, Joe Campanella, Tony Madlem, Debi Wilson. Nays: Ken Russell. Rick Catt was absent. Motion carried.
10. Mayor Rich informed the Board that the Village’s Bond Counselor, Kurt Froehlich had talked with him and stated that the Village does not have an agreement with Roger Colmark . This needs to be rectified before any more TIF tax money is sent to Mr. Colmark. Mayor Rich asked the Board’s permission to speak with Mark Noonan and have him draft an agreement for the Village and Mr. Colmark to sign. Motion by Trustee Madlem, with a second by Trustee Russell, to give the Mayor permission to talk with Mr. Noonan and get an agreement drafted to rectify the issues with paying Mr. Colmark his percentage of the TIF tax money. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
11. Mayor’s Comments:
a. Mayor Rich stated that he had been made aware of a problem with the Non-Highway/Neighborhood Vehicles being driven up and down Range Street. They are not allowed to drive on Range Street due to it being a multi-jurisdictional road.
b. Mayor Rich stated that the Village had received a letter from Chase Environmental Group Inc. They want the Village to sign a Highway Authority Agreement. There was some discussion on this issue. The Board agreed that the Village will only sign the agreement if Chase is willing to reimburse the Village any legal fees (these include attorney’s fees and codification fees) that may be incurred.
12. Reports of Committees:
Police: Joe read the monthly report for June, 2012
Building and Park: Debi stated that there are two new sofa in the Activity Center and that the Oblong Community Service Club will reimburse the Village for the cost of one. Debi also mentioned that the Committee is looking into getting the generator project going.
Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that he had nothing to report this month.
Street and Alley: Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to accept the bid from Lee Kintner & Sons, Inc. for the Chip and Seal payable for MFT Funds. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Water and Sewer: Ken stated that the Village had received the inspection report on the exterior inspection of the water tower.
Finance: Jan mentioned that Sarah Mann from Greater Wabash Regional Planning Commission is coming on July 23rd, to look at the light fixtures in the building and can then figure up what amount of grant money the Village may receive in changing over to more cost effect lighting. Jan stated that Dan Jansen from USDA Rural Development will be here on August 7th, to review the Revolving Loans that the Village has. Jan stated that it is again time to put the Village checking account interest up for bids to be open at the next meeting.
G. Development: Tony stated that there was nothing to report this month.
13. Motion by Trustee Madlem, with a second by Trustee Russell, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimburse-ments to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
14. There was one other item of business this month. Trustee Wilson asked Gary if the water line break in Robinson had affected the water for the Village’s customers. Gary stated that the only problem for the Village’s customers has been discoloration but there was no boil order issued.
15. Motion by Trustee Houdasheldt, with a second by Trustee Wilson, to adjourn the meeting at 7:41 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd