Village of Oblong
Minutes for May 2, 2012 Meeting
May 2nd, 2012
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Pro-tem Rick Catt, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Joe Campanella, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Mayor Randy Rich.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), Tom Compton (Daily News) and JJ Aten (Oblong Gem).
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Pro-tem Catt.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of April 4th, 2012 were approved with a motion by Joe and a second by Tony. All ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no water bill customers at the meeting this month.
5. Rick C. stated that since the death of Oren Dart; the Village needed to find someone to cash rent the farm ground that the Village owns. He mentioned that Oren’s Brother-in-Law, Dee Stout, was interested. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Ken, to allow Dee Stout to farm the 24 acres that the Village owns for this year’s crop season. All ayes, motion carried.
6. Motion by Joe, with a second by Debi, to adopt Ordinance #2012-O-542 “An Ordinance to Amend Chapter 30: Public Safety, Article II: Police Department, Section 30-2-20: Part-time Officers, of the Village Codes of the Village of Oblong, Crawford County, Illinois”. Roll call Ayes: Rick C., Joe, Rick H., Ken, Tony, Debi. Motion carried.
7. Rick C. read a letter from John Provines (Kemp Music) about the problems with the Downtown Speaker System. There was some discussion on the issues. The Board decided to make the suggested fixes and give Mr. Provines until June 15th to complete the necessary adjustments. The Board also decided to get a signed agreement between the Village and Kemp Music that if the speaker system fails during the Halloween Parade that it will be taken back by Kemp Music and the Village receive a full refund.
8. Rick C. read the Proclamation to make May13-19 “National Police Week 2012”. Motion by Joe, with a second by Rick H., to adopt the “Proclamation For National Police Week 2012” during the week of May 13-19. All ayes, motion carried.
9. There was nothing for Mayor’s Comments this month.
10. Reports of Committees:
Police: Joe read the monthly report for April, 2012. Joe stated that Chad will have ILEAS training on May 22-24.
Building and Park: Debi stated that she had nothing to report this month.
Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that he had nothing to report this month.
D. Street and Alley: Tony stated that he had nothing to report this month.
E. Water and Sewer: Ken stated that he had nothing to report for this month.
F. Finance: Rick C. stated that he had nothing more to report for this month. Jan stated that the Auditors will be here to do the audit the 3rd full week of May.
G. Development: Tony stated that there was nothing to report this month.
11. Motion by Tony, with a second by Ken, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. All ayes, motion carried.
12. There were no other items of business this month.
13. Motion by Rick H., with a second by Tony, to adjourn the meeting at 7:19
ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd