Village of Oblong
Minutes for October 3, 2012 Meeting
October 3rd, 2012
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Randy Rich, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Rick Catt, Trustee Rick Houdasheldt, Trustee Ken Russell, Trustee Tony Madlem, Trustee Debi Wilson and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Joe Campanella.
Others Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter, Tom Compton (Daily News), Chris Forde (WTYE/WTAY), Mike McReynolds, JJ Aten (Oblong Gem), Ron Smith and Rose Smith.
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Mayor Rich.
2. The Regular Board Meeting minutes of September 5th, 2012 were approved with a motion by Rick H. and a second by Tony. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
3. There were no additions or deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There was one water bill customer at the meeting this month. Mike McReynolds asked if he could pay his water bill on Friday, October 5th. The Board granted his request.
5. The Board set October 31st, as trick or treat night in Oblong from 5 to 8 pm. The kids are only to stop where there is a porch light on.
6. Mayor’s Comments:
a. Randy mentioned that October 18th will be Fall Clean-up for Oblong Republic Customers. No electronics, tires, car parts or paint cans. Everything has to be bagged, bundled or boxed. One appliance per paid up customer will be picked up.
b. Randy stated that he had received a letter from Phillip LeConte (Executive Director of Junior Police Academy) commending Chief Chad Pusey on his excellent work with the Oblong youth and to invite him to join the advisory board of the Junior Police Academy. Randy read the letter to the Board.
7. Reports of Committees:
Police: Chad stated that the Board had a copy of the monthly report for September, 2012. Chad stated that there will be training on October 12th on Field Sobriety here at the Municipal Building.
Building and Park: Debi stated that she had nothing to report this month.
Sidewalks and Lights: Rick H. stated that the Village has the old light pole from uptown, there at the city lot and they are sometimes in the way. Gary would like to be able to get rid of them. There was some discussion on this matter. The Board decided that if someone wanted them for a dollar apiece (sold as is), then the Village would sell them. There is 9 or 10 good ones.
Street and Alley: Tony stated that the Street Sealing was completed since last month’s meeting.
Water and Sewer: Ken stated that he had nothing to report this month.
Finance: Rick C. stated that Jan and Ladora will be attending their SECICTA Quarterly meeting on October 11th in Charleston and the Illinois Municipal League Conference on October 18th to 20th in Chicago. Rick stated that there will be another committee meeting in the next week or two to further discuss the financing of North Range Project and other projects for the future.
G. Development: Randy stated that there was some interest in the industrial area.
8. Motion by Ken, with a second by Debi, to pay the bills that were on the warranty list and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late charge or reimbursements to employees. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
9. There were two other items of business this month.
1. Ron Smith came before the Board stating that he had talked with the Oblong Township Road Commissioner about possibly getting city water to his home. Mr. Smith stated that the Road Commissioner did not have a problem with the Village putting the water line on the Township roadway or ditch line. The Board stated that they would have to get with the Village’s engineer.
2. The Homecoming Parade Route is from the High School head north to Indiana Street instead of Missouri Street.
10. Motion by Tony, with a second by Rick H., to adjourn the meeting at 7:15
Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora C. Boyd