Village of Oblong
June 1, 2022
The Village of Oblong Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, June 1st, 2022, in the Farley Room of the Municipal Building.
Members Present: Mayor Teresa K. Fielder, Clerk Ladora Boyd, Trustee Angie Fear, Trustee Jay Haines, Trustee Dave Hasty, Trustee Carrie Hays, Trustee Keith Waldrop and Treasurer Jan Miller.
Absent: Trustee Jeron Harris.
Other Present: Police Chief Chad Pusey, Public Works Superintendent Gary Lanter and Angela Downing (Robinson Daily News).
1. The meeting was called to order at 5 pm by the Mayor. Teresa asked everyone to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance to the U.S. Flag.
2. The Regular Board Meeting Minutes of May 4th, 2022, were approved with a motion by Keith, with a second by Jay. Five (5) ayes, motioned carried.
3. There were no Additions of Deletions to the agenda this month.
4. There were no Delinquent Water Bill customers present this month.
5. Teresa stated that the Crawford County Fair Board is wanting to hold a Demolition Derby again this coming Fall. The date for the Derby would be Saturday, October 22nd, 2022, starting at 3 pm. The Board approved the request.
6. Teresa stated that the total amount of the Appropriation for FY2023 is $2,307,716.00. Motion by Angie, with a second by Dave, to adopted Ordinance #2022-O-629 “An Appropriation Ordinance”. Roll call vote as follows: Angie – aye; Jay – aye; Dave – aye; Carrie – aye; Keith – aye. Motion carried.
7. Motion by Jay, with a second by Dave, to adopt the new Excavation Application/Permit (Streets/Alleys/Sidewalks/Right of Ways). Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
8. Motion by Dave, with a second by Angie, to adopt the new revised TIF Grant Application. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
9. Mayor’s Comments:
a. Teresa stated that there are no further updates on the Rebuild Illinois Funds for the South Range Street Project. Teresa stated that Resa Shaner is still keeping tabs on this for the Village. Resa is on vacation this week, this is why she was not at tonight’s meeting.
b. Teresa mentioned that on Friday, June 10th, the Vault Antiques will be hosting an event and will have Kick Addis Food truck parked in front of their business.
c. Teresa mentioned that there will be a benefit for Alec Jacobs in the Activity Room on Sunday, June 12th, starting at 11 am.
d. Teresa stated that there will a Red Cross Blood Drive on Thursday, June 16th, from 12:30 pm to 5:30 pm.
e. Teresa wanted to remind everyone that the Oblong Hootenanny will be Saturday, June 25th, at the Oblong Park. She also mentioned that the Chamber has brought in their insurance to be put on file.
f. Teresa stated that Sunday, June 26th, from 1-3 pm at the Musgrave Shelter in the Park will be a Memorial Service for former Mayor Betty Cunningham.
g. Teresa mentioned that the Camping fees are now $15/night and no free camping at any time.
10. Reports of Committees:
a. POLICE: Jay stated that Chad had informed him that the radar guns are bad. Chad stated that he will be purchasing new radar guns. The cost of the new radar guns will come out of the DUI Funds. Chad stated he will be attending training for Juvenile Officers in Peoria later on this month.
b. BUILDING/PARK: Keith stated that he and Gary had marked off a couple of places for repairs on the walking pathway and have put out for estimates for repair cost. Keith asked for permission for Jan, Ladora and himself to attend the IML Conference this fall. He stated that the registration will be opening up soon. The Board approved the request. Keith asked about his suggestion about hosting a Citizen Meeting. Teresa told Keith if he could find a good date to hold the Citizen Meeting to go ahead with it. Angie stated that she has been watching for the Oslad Grants application opening to apply for help with the entire walking pathway repair/replacement. She has been talking with a representative from SouthCentral Illinois Regional Planning & Development on this matter. Motion by Jay, with a second by Carrie, to go with the SouthCentral Illinois Regional Planning & Development for the Oslad Grant application when it becomes available. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
c. SIDEWALK/LIGHTS: Carrie stated that she had no report for this month.
d. STREET/ALLEY: Angie stated that she had no report for this month. Gary stated that he had received a phone call stating that the Village’s MFT for general maintenance has been approved. He stated that we should received the approved paperwork in the mail soon.
e. WATER/SEWER: Dave stated that Gary will be replacing a piece of equipment that is obsolete. Gary stated that the flow meter at the waste water plant is what will needed to be replaced and the cost should be less than $2,000.00. Gary also mentioned that the Consumer Confidence Report is done and available to any water customer, who wants a copy and will also be available on the Village’s web page. Teresa stated that the Water/Sewer Committee had received a letter of resignation from Cassie Hill with final work day being June 3rd. Motion by Angie, with a second by Dave, to accept the letter of resignation. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
f. FINANCE: Teresa stated that Jeron did not mention anything that need to be brought up at the meeting tonight. TREASURER’S REPORT: Jan stated that the Board had a copy of the Bank Balances and available cash reports. CLERK’S REPORT: Ladora stated that the next SECICTA meeting for Jan and her will be sometime this month in Altamont. Ladora stated that they would like to attend this meeting. The Board approved the request.
g. DEVELOPMENT: Teresa stated that right now the committee is at a standstill.
h. ADHOC (Beautification/Ordinance):
a. Teresa stated that the May Hometown Pride Award winners were Jeff & Tami Mendenhall (608 South Adams Street).
b. Teresa mentioned that the vacant house located at 202 North Washington Street has been demolished.
c. The committee is continuing to watch properties with overgrown yards, fencing issues and inoperable vehicles.
d. Jay asked about the signage that was to be placed on the fence around the spillway at the Park. Teresa stated that she would find out about this issue and update the Board members.
e. The next meeting of the committee will be June 29th at 3 pm.
11. Motion by Jay, with a second by Keith, to pay the bills that were on the Warranty List and any utility bills, bills that will incur a late fee or reimbursements to employees-AC renters-Water Customers. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
12. There were no other items of business this month.
13. Motion by Angie, with a second by Jay, to adjourn the meeting at 5:24 pm. Five (5) ayes, motion carried.
Ladora Boyd, Clerk